free app


Tasmanian State Schools

You will find excellent primary schools in Tasmania and you are eligible for a place if you live within the school’s catchment area. Some schools will allow you to attend out of the catchment area if they have space. Good suburbs tend to have good schools, so housing is often chosen based on the school's zoning. Class sizes are usually reasonably small compared to the rest of Australia.. The annual costs for Australian residents are very low, about $500 per year but there is usually a significant amount of in house school fundraising. Some overseas residents do pay tuition fees. (see below – Costs)Temporary residents (on a subclass 457 visa) pay the additional cost, although not all states and territories enforce it. Permanent residents have same rights as citizens and only pay a small contribution (a few hundred dollars a year in average).


Local State High Schools

 When it comes time to go to high school (Year 7 – age 12+), the number of state schools decreases but the relevant catchment areas become much larger. The reputation of state high schools can vary considerably.  Some schools achieve much better results and have far better on site facilities. The number of children attending a school increases the funding allowance.  Students can finish their schooling in Year 10 or continue through to year 12 at which stage they will receive a high school graduation certificate.

*This certificate is known as a the Tasmanian Certificate of Education, or TCE in Tasmania .


Public/State School in Tasmania – What will it cost me?

Overseas residents in some states pay a higher premium of school fees in Australia. In Tasmania up to $5,500 per year (but 457 and 574 visa holders are exempt).

Please note: Students who are initially on a short stay bridging visa may be required to pay higher school fees.



1. Contact the school that is in your local catchment area. They will provide you with an application to enrol and explain what documentation is required.

2. Get documentation organised – Passport, Birth Certificate, Copy of Lease (or similar) to show you live in catchment area. Plus immunisation records from your doctor.

3. Return to the school with everything - they sign off and then it gets sent for approval.


For further information go to the Department of Education :

To find a state school in your area go to:



design by snappywebsites