free app


Western Australian Rules and Regulations- General

  • Always drive on the left hand side of the road.
  • Speed limits are measured by kilometres per hour (KPH) and are usually enforced with the use of radar cameras. There are reduced speed limits in School Zones during school hours (8-9.30am and 2.30-4pm).
  • Wear a seatbelt: this is compulsory.
  • It is  prohibited to text or use a mobile phone when driving.
  • There are very strict drink driving rules which you must obey. See
  • A valid drivers license must be carried at all times when driving.
  • Compulsory Third Party liability insurance isenforced and all insurance policies must be issued in Australia.

Information on Driver’s Licences in Western Australia

  • You must carry your Drivers Licence at all times with you when you drive in Western Australia. Tourists and short stay visitors (less than 90 days) can travel with their valid home country licence and a passport as additional ID.
  • If your licence is not in English, you must also carry an English translation with you. If you do not then this can result in an on the spot fine.
  • It is a good idea to apply for an International Driver’s Permit ( IDP), which you must obtain in your home country prior to departure. An IDP is really a certification of a national licence and is useful if stopped by the police or if in a road accident. Important: An IDP must be supported by a valid home country driver’s licence and will not be sufficient on its own as ID.

When do you need to obtain an Western Australian Driver’s licence?

Licencing laws vary between states and territories so please ensure you check rules in your preferred area. 

If you are a visitor to Western Australia (WA), you may drive on your overseas licence, for as long as it remains valid in the country of issue. If your overseas licence ceases to be valid, you must apply for a WA licence if you wish to continue driving. If you hold a permanent resident visa, you can drive on your overseas licence until you have resided in WA for 3 months. After this time you will need to apply for a WA driver’s licence.

For further info go to:


How to get a Western Australian Drivers Licence/Permit

You will need to visit your local service centre ( ) and present your home countries drivers licence (with translation if required), three original ID documents, such as passport, birth certificate or signed credit card and proof of your Australian address. You may be required to take an eye test and in some cases you will need to complete a driver/knowledge test and a practical driving test.

If you are from the the following countries are exempt from having to take a Driver/Knowledge test and sometimes from the practical Driving test, subject to having a valid home countries licence:

Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey, Ireland, Isle of Man (licences issued after 01/04/91), Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Malta (licences issues after 02.01.04), Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA. If you are over 25 you will also be exempt from taking the tests if you are from Czech Republic, Estonia,Hong Kong, Republic of Korea and Taiwan.

If you are required to take a Knowledge and Drivers test you will need to pay the required fees and make an appointment..

If you have a drivers licence issued in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia,or Pakistan you are must:

  • Get a ‘letter of verification’ from the  High Commission / Consulate verifying the authenticity of the driver’s licence; and
  • Contact the High Commission / Consulate to make sure that they have forwarded details of the 'letter of verification' to Licensing and Compliance Services before you go to a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) Centre or regional DVS Agent

For Perth &WA go to


  • Parking in Perth. Parking a car can be very challenging across Australian cities as well as costly with Australian cities frequently rating in the top 20 most expensive globally.   TIP For affordable parking go to Parkhound which is an online marketplace available in Perth and Western Australia. By booking online you can save 50-60% on regular parking prices.

design by snappywebsites