The rental market in Perth is on fire, with properties being advertised only days prior to becoming available. Properties you see before your arrival are likely to havebeen rented by the time you arrive – dont set your heart on anything you have seen online but just use the information to understand your chosen area and budget.
Look at www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au for information on what's available, or Mandarin speakers may prefer to use www.gifang.com. You may also like to check out www.rent.com.au, www.realestateview.com.au . The majority of rentals in Perth are unfurnished, however there are some furnished properties available which are more likely to be apartments than family sized homes.
Cost of Renting in Perth?
- Rents are quoted on a per week basis but are sometimes paid on a monthly basis and so $250 a week does not equate to $1000 a month as there are different amounts of days in each month. This can make a difference to your assumed budget – so ensure you do the math.
$250 a week x 52 weeks a year = $13,000
$13,000 : 12 months in a year = $1,083 per month.
- Rental prices can be negotiated but it is worth asking the agent first before submitting an application at a reduced rental price. Other people in Perth will be doing the opposite and adding to the advertised price.Your likelihood of a reduction are improved if the property has been advertised for some timeand you can offer a number of months rent upfront. If you want to ensure you secure a place you love your best option is to offer the asking price and check with the agent to see if she has had any applications above that price.
- Rental Costs:
With your application you may need to put down 1 weeks rent as a holding deposit to secure the property.
Prior to getting the keys you will be required to pay 4 weeks bond or more if the property is $1200pw or above – This must be put either into a Tenancies Bond Account or lodged with the Bond Administrator and is returned to you when you move out, subject to no breakages/damages etc.
You will also need to pay 2 weeks rent in advance (minus the holding deposit).
Looking at Rental Properties in Perth
Rental properties can be viewed either by appointment (usually those priced $700 +) or at the weekly open for inspection times. These are typically held mid week (Wednesday/Thursday lunch time or late afternoon/early evening) and on Saturdays- the biggest day for viewing. Open times are very short (10-10.15am) and many are at the ame time, meaning you have to plan your Saturday itinerary wisely. Many properties are advertised using the photographs used at the time of sale which means they can be out dates and misrepresentative. A drive past before to the open can help you rule out some properties and assist you make a short list. The best properties go almost immediately, often before they make the mainstream real estate listing sites. It is wise to follow some of the real estate agency websites located in your chosen areas as this is where they will be listed first.
Advice on Renting Property in Perth
How to secure a rental property and beat the competition – Secrets from a Relocation Consultant!
- Preparation. Download an application from the agency website or pick up a copy from their office prior to the inspection. Fill this out fully (make sure all sections completed) and attach to it relevant ID (100 points – see below for full outline) with any extra supporting material (letter of offer from employer/rental references from your country of residence/bank statements showing regular rental/mortgage payments etc..) .
- Give the completed application in when you inspect the property and ask for one of the agent’s business cards if possible. The same day, email the agent expressing how much you liked the property (mention the full address) and remind them that you submitted an application at the inspection. Ask them to contact you if they need any further to assist with their decision on and wish them a good day. You can usually expect an answer on the next working day afternoon or the following day if it was viewed mid week.
- You can follow up with a polite telephone call asking when you might be able to expect an answer and did they need anything further.
Tip! Always remember to complete and return the condition report. This will maximize your chance to have your bond refunded in full at the end of your tenancy.
Applying for rental properties in Perth – what are they looking for?
- Having a completed application promptly(by first thing next working day or at the time of the inspection) with all ID/additional information requested. Neat writing is a bonus.
- References – a mix of work and personal references are needed. Give a choice of contact numbers if relevant as they need to check these before applications are passed to owner for approval. Try and ensure at least some of the contact numbers are local.
- The key factor will be ascertaining your salary and that you can afford the rental payments. A positive rental reference is a big plus. Most ex pats with no rental history will improve their chances if they bring a written reference gained at the time of their move from their current rental agent or mortgage broker. If you have any investment properties/sources of additional income over and above your salary bring proof of these as this will further your cause.
- First come does not mean first served. The agent will pass on all applications to the owner. The ultimate choice is the owners although the rental agents usually give their recommendations (so be nice to them). Australian residents or citizens are often chosen by owners as they feel they may be more reliable and commit to the lease term over expats who may relocate home again. A relocation agent can also assist with getting your application accelerated to top of the list.
Although it irritates the real estate agents, many people apply for 2 or 3 properties at one time thus increasing their chances of having one approved. Once you are approved you need to put down 1 weeks rent to secure the property – this means it will be taken off the market and no further inspections held. A few days prior to the lease start date you will be asked to pay the remainder of the upfront funds due and sign the lease.
Need HELP relocating to Perth? A relocation agent can assist youpin down the best areas to live and set up house or apartment viewings on your behalf. They can also assist with the application process. To find out more go to www.ewrelocation.com
Covid-19 has changed the way we do things and we now also offer virtual oreintation, home and school search services as well as reinventing our departure and repatriation services. Ask about departure servcies or repatriation services in Perth.
If you’re renting an apartment, flat or house, a parking space is likely to be provided. If youleave your parking space is empty, then you can make some extra income. With parking being so hard to find in Australia, lease your parking space on Parkhound and make up to $3,000 a year. Inner city parking spaces are especially popular. It’s free to list and Parkhound takes care of all the hassles and paper work. Payments are also automatically credited to your nominated bank account. To lease your parking space, go to go to www.parkhound.com.au and select ‘Lease My Space’.