- Melbourne has excellent bus, train and tram transport services.
- For frequent travel the newly introduced myki card – a reusable smart card that deducts the fare automatically when you travel and can be topped up when needed- is the most economical option. The myki card can be purchased online at www.myki.com.au or at train stations, selected tram stops and bus interchanges and at 7-Eleven stores.
- Children travel free under 3 years of age and children up to 16 years of age are charged a concession fare.
- Seniors are charged concession rates and can purchase a Seniors Daily Metcard to travel all day on trains, trams and buses across Zone 1 and for only $3.50. Seniors are eligible for a free myki card which contains a free weekend entitlement.
- For journey planning go to www.jp.ptv.vic.gov.au
- For more information on tickets and timetables go to www.ptv.vic.gov.au
Taxis can be hired off the street, at taxi ranks or by phone booking. There is sometimes a long wait for taxis esecially on a weekend evening so be prepared for that. Melbourne isapparently looking at bringing in a thousand Greek taxi drivers to alleviate the problem.
13CABS: 13 22 27
Silver Tops Taxi Service: 13 10 08
You might also conside UBER www.uber.com/?exp=home_signup_form
- Melbourne is very cycle friendly with many flat roads and designated bike pathways.
- Bikes can be carried free on Metropolitan and V/Line trains dependent on space availability. Folding bikes that fit the size criteria can be carried free on trams, trains and buses. Bike lockers are available at selected Metro and V/Line train stations and can be rented free after paying a bond. Registered users can also use bike cages for free at selected stations and transport interchanges. For more info go to www.ptv.vic.gov.au
- Melbourne Bike Share allows you to rent bikes located at stations around the city centre on a daily, weekly or annual subscription basis. The first 30 minutes are free with usage fees charged thereafter. For more information go to www.melbournebikeshare.com.au