free app


Victoria Driving Rules and Regulations- General

  • Drive on the left hand side of the road.
  • Speed limits  shown in kilometres per hour (KPH) are controlled by the use of police radar cameras. There are lower speed limits in School Zones through school hours (8-9.30am and 2.30-4pm).
  • Everyone in the vehicle must wear a seatbelt.
  • Talking or texting on a mobile device while you are driving has harsh penalties.
  • Look out for Hook Turns if driving in Melbourne city or in South Melbourne. These are turns where you sit in the left hand lane in front of traffic at a traffic light to take a right turn. When the light changes you go first.
  • Do not drink and drive as there is a limit and random breath tests. Again there are severe penalties for drivers over .0.5 BAC while professional drivers, probationary and learner drivers, and those who have previously committed drink driving offences should have a zero blood alcohol concentration (BAC). All other drivers must stay under .05 BAC.
  • A valid drivers license when driving in Victoria.
  • Vehicles in Victoria sometimes overtake on both sides on a motorway.
  • Children’s Car seats have regulations. See
  • Third Party liability insurance is compulsory. All insurance policies  are to be issued in Australia.
  • Make sure that you do not park in Loading Zones: these are only for commercial vehicles which bear signage delivering goods and documents or picking up and setting down passengers.

Information on Driver’s Licences in Victoria

  • You should carry your Drivers Licence at all times when driving in Victoria. Tourists and short stay visitors  who ae in Victoria for less than 90 days can travel with their valid overseas country licence with a passport as additional ID.
  • Your overseas licence must be in English or you must also carry an English translation with you. If you do not you can  end up with an on the spot fine.
  • Apply for an International Driver’s Permit (IDP), which you obtain in your home country prior to departure. An IDP certifies your national licence assist if you are flagged down by the police or if  you are in a road accident.  An IDP will not be sufficient on its own as ID must be supported by a valid home country driver’s licence.

When do you need to obtain a Victorian Driver’s licence?

The requirement to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence depends on whether your stay in Victoria is temporary or permanent. If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas driver licence for as long as it is current providing it is in English or accompanied by an English translation or International Driving Permit. There is no requirement to get a Victorian driver licence. If you have entered Victoria on a permanent visa issued under the Migration Act 1958, you may drive on your overseas driver licence for:

  • six months from the date you first entered Australia if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia; or
  • six months from the date when the permanent visa was issued to you if the permanent visa was issued to you whilst in Australia.
  • If you want to continue driving in Victoria after this time you must change your overseas licence to a Victorian driver licence.
  • New Zealand residents who hold a current licence are treated as interstate drivers

For more info go to:


How to get a Victorian Drivers Licence/Permit

You will need to visit the Victorian transport authority and present your home countries drivers licence (with translation if required), three original ID documents, such as passport, birth certificate or signed credit card and proof of your Victorian address. They may ask that you take an eyesight test and in some cases you will need to complete a road law knowledge test, a hazard perception test as well as a practical driving test.

If you are over 25 from the following countries you are exempt from having to take a the above tests, as long as you hold a valid home countries licence:

Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey, Ireland, Isle of Man (licences issued after 01/04/91), Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Malta (licences issues after 02.01.04), Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA.

The above tests will incur a charge. They will require an appointment. The written knowledge may be taken in English, Albanian, Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese, Macedonian, Persian, Russian,, Serbian, Singhalese, Turkish and Vietnamese. You will need to make prior arrangements with your transport authority to take the test in any other language.

For Victoria & Melbourne go to


  • Parking. Parking a car can be very challenging across Australian cities as well as costly with Australian cities frequently rating in the top 20 most expensive globally.   TIP For affordable parking go to Parkhound which is an online marketplace available in Melbourne. By booking online you can save 50-60% on regular parking prices.

design by snappywebsites