- Visitors to Australia may study in the country for a period of up to 3 months without the need to obtain a student visa. Longer courses will require you to put forward a visa application.See www.border.gov.au
- It is important to note that to be eligible for a student visa you must have a degree of English Language proficiency and meet minimum academic requirements. Go to www.studyinaustralia.gov.au for detailed information on this.
- Students under 18 years of age require a student guardian in Australia.
- A student Visa is considered a temporary visa and does not guarantee that you will be granted a further visa to stay in Australia.
- All students granted a visa and any family members accompanying you will be required to have Health Insurance Cover.
- If you want to come to Australia to study, your suitability for a visa will be determined by your main course of study and your passport country. This is done is by allocating each applicant to one of 5 assessment levels. Each year the Education department calculates the immigration risk of students from each country in each education sector, based on the previous year. Assessment level 1 represents the lowest immigration risk and Assessment level 5 the highest immigration risk.
To determine your Assessment level go to immi.homeaffairs.gov.au
For information on Covid-19 go to: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/staying-australia
Please note If your passport country is not listed in this table you will be subject to Assessment level 3. If you are applying for a Subclass 576-AusAid/Defence student visa you will be subject to Assessment level 2.
Types of Visa
- Independent ELICOS* Visa – Subclass 570: This visa is for students who wish to study English only. If you intend to study English before commencing an additional course you will require a different type of visa. * English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas students.
- Schools Student Visa – Subclass 571: This visa is for students who are studying in primary or secondary school. It is also valid for those on an approved student exchange program.
- Vocational Education and Training (VET)- Subclass 572: This visa is for those seeking Certificate I, II, III, IV, Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas at TAFE or Private Colleges.
- Higher Education Student Visa – Subclass 573: This visa is for students seeking a Bachelor Degree, Associate Degree, Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate.
- Postgraduate Research- Subclass 574: This visa is for those applying for a postgraduate qualification such as a Masters or Doctorate.
- Non-Award Foundation Student Visa – Subclass 575: This visa is for students who want to take a bridging or foundation course that will not lead to a formal degree or diploma.
- Guardian Visa- Subclass 580: This visa is granted to a parent or close family member to accompany a student, under the age of 18 years old, whilst they undertake their study.
For further information on students visas and entry requirements go to: immi.homeaffairs.gov.au